The Cycle Messenger World Championships (CMWC) is the ultimate urban cycling competition. The strongest, smartest and fastest bike messengers from across the planet converge once a year to determine who is the best in a variety of events that test riders’ physical and mental limits. It is a fully insured competition on a closed course that is sanctioned by the International Federation of Bike Messengers Associations (IFBMA). While most competitors are bike messengers, events are open to everyone, and many non-messengers enjoy the challenge of the competition.
CMWC is a world championship sporting event, but it is also a world festival celebrating messenger culture and its broad influence on modern urban culture, as well as an international conference where messengers can share their diverse experiences and work towards improving working conditions in every city. CMWC hosts a variety of related galas, shows, parties and a vendor market where spectators mingle with messengers to get a jump on the latest bike trends and urban utilitarian fashion. The side events showcase the artistic, photographic, musical and literary talents of the world’s hardest working professional athletes.
The Chicago Team
After the success of the 2008 North American Cycle Courier Championship in Chicago some of the organizers of that event sat down and had a serious talk about making a bid for hosting the CMWC in 2012. We won your vote in Guatemala and are prepared to make the 20th annual CMWC the best yet. Here's who we are.
- Augie Montes - Ex-Messenger and former Rider/Owner at 4 Star Courier. Has thrown more races than you've ever been at.
- Christina Peck - Ex-Messenger. 2009 NACCC Overall Champ, Women's 2010 NACCC champ. Podium for 2009 & 2010 CMWC's. Chicago Cuttin' Crew.
- Nico Deportago-Cabrera - Messenger. Rider/Owner at 4 Star Courier. Chicago Cuttin' Crew. Men's 2009 NACCC Champ. Chicago Cuttin' Crew.
- Dylan Gimpel - Messenger. Organizer/contributor of the Chicago Courier's Union. Always on time.
- Nick Puczkowskyj- Messenger. Former CDOT Bike Program/Active Transportation Alliance Employee. Breaks all the secretaries' hearts.
- Allison Peck - Keeps the books, pays the bills and DJ's our parties.
- Vern Schleyer - Handsome. Builds things. Good mustache. King of paperwork. Lawyer.
- Chris Dilts - Designer. Photographer. Web Impresario. Destroyer of Restaurants.
- Mike Morrell - Messenger. Rider/Owner at 4 Star Courier. Lays out the toughest courses you'll ever ride. Chicago Cuttin' Crew.